View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #107
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
It's not like it hasn't been done already..
It has, but not to great extent and not in adventure games, especially not the recent ones. Except maybe Fahrenheit and Facade, don't know about Dreamfall.

I think the focus should be on interpersonal interaction. When I say dynamic dialogue, I don't mean fluid, but not entirely scripted. What you say should affect the characters, their disposition towards you and towards other NPCs. There should be non-scripted social bonding possible between not only the player character and NPCs, but also NPCs and other NPCs. Information could be transmitted and possibly slightly changed as it passes from person to person, affecting the relationships between characters (Crawford explored those ideas himself in his games Gossip and Trust & Betrayal: The Legacy of Siboot). Of course, without some superadvanced AI, the writen dialog would probably have to be replaced with a symbolic language of sorts, but together with a good facial animation and body language system, I think it would work. Hey, it's a different kind of game so why not? It wouldn't be the first time.

But enough about that. Direct control, yeah... It's good.

Quote:
(Hey, what about your first game? I'd be the first in line to order a copy!)
Hehehe, don't hold your breath, for now I'm all talk and no action. I won't start working on a real game until October and even then we'll go for something reeeeeally simple, just to familiarize ourselves with the process. It will probably not be an adventure and it'll most definitely turn out quite trashy, but hey, it'll be free.