View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 12:31 PM   #74
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phankiejankie
You ask me to back it up and I told you that two of the most commercially successful adventure games of the last couple of years were Dreamfall and Fahrenheit. Neither of them is a p&c game. In strict mathematical logic that does not mean that a p&c AG can't be a commercial success but it is an indication and by me this indication means that people (apart from adventure gamers) are sick of p&c and want something else. Adventures seem to get back to the core of their existence, telling a story and telling a story doesn't necessarily need a p&c interface.
It remains to be seen whether either game is commercially successful, relative to its overall budget. Selling more copies alone does not mean more successful.

In any case, interface is only one of several obvious, crucial differences between those games and traditional adventures. You may want to just ignore other successful genres that also use point and click because it doesn't suit your theory, but the fact remains that mainstream gamers DO embrace it as a viable interface if implemented in a game they want to play. The question then becomes whether traditional adventures are games that most people want to play. Probably not.

BTW, consoles are irrelevant to this discussion. I think it's pretty safe to say that point and click is not very popular on systems that don't (or only marginally) allow for it. I can't imagine keyboard controls are all that popular with console gamers, either.