View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #1183
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
AFGNCAAP and OAV: The minute I heard about this movie, I myself had zero desire to see it. It does certainly sound like they were very faithful to the retelling of the events but honestly if I want to see that, I'll watch an actual documentary (of which there have been plenty even sooner after the event). Why do movies have to be a factual retelling of events? Like I said, that's what documentaries are for. Maybe a movie should transcend that.

And for some people, it will always be too soon.
Melanie I totally understand. My own mother has always refused to watch Schindler's List, and my family isn't even Jewish. The pain of the Holocaust is just too much for her to bear, even in a film with a message equally against that dark event. I'm not saying Thomas Moore is wrong for not seeing the film, I'm simply upset that he goes off about what the movie should be when he hasn't even seen what the movie is.

By the way, the film does manage to transcend what a documentary could do, emotionally. I'll tell you what helps immeasurably: a cast of unknown faces and the handheld cameras that make one feel as if they're there. When these people get onto that plane, all for various reasons just like any regular day, and the door closes and seals as the last passenger comes aboard with a smile on his face...the friend sitting next to me in the theater gave out a sigh. There's definitely something about seeing these everyday people (even though they are actors, it's not a Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, we can lose ourselves in the realism of this) go from being just like you or me, and suddenly being forced to deal with something no one should have to deal with. The ways they deal with it too...wow.

Now, the film isn't perfect. Anyone looking for character development or a story beyond this particular day, look elsewhere. In the film itself, we only discover what the characters discover. No one knows anything yet about the attackers or Bin Laden or any such thing.

Also, I must add, the last 10 minutes are quite perfect. Very powerful. I can't explain what you see, I think it would be better for people to view it themselves if they wish. But it was masterfully done, and more effective than a documentary in terms of what you feel.