View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 05:19 AM   #71
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phankiejankie
Let me rephrase that in the mainstream world that covers both PCs and consoles p&c is dead. Apart from the niche market of AGamers the rest of the world doesn't give a damn about p&c. In fact many are making fun of it, as an ancient way of playing games.
Many people are making fun of The Sims to this day, even long after it broke all sales records.

Quote:
Please do not mention RTSs again... It’s true and undoubted that p&c is the best way for these games untill someone comes up with an alternative method.
...which won't happen, though, as long as every RTS *is* made with p&c. Kinda like adventures.

Quote:
No, no and no. It's you that flirt with logical fallacy. I mentioned adventure games and adventure games only. Fahrenheit and Dreamfall are classified as adventures and I am suggesting that these two adventures with their new features (3D, direct control, action etc.) are more accessible and people like them better. So by me other adventure developers should follow and embrace these features.

On the contrary you are comparing comedies with dramas. Both are movies as both games are games but dramas and comedies within the movies sphere are different things. If Dreamfall and Fahrenheit were FPS, RTGs, Platforms etc. I could understand your point but their not.
Look. You made a claim that point and click in an adventure excludes commercial success. I asked you to back it up. Now you try to change the topic to "Should other developers follow Funcom's and Quantic Dream's examples?", but I'm not interested in arguing against that, because I happen to agree with you (as long as by "other" you don't mean "all").

I'll make an attempt at explaining your logical fallacy better. If X="point'n'click", Y="not a mainstream success", then you said "If an adventure game is X, it is also Y" ("Unfortunately poin'n'click adventure games at least for mainstream success are dead."). When I replied that I'm not convinced you said Dreamfall and Fahrenheit should be enough to convince me. But these two games are neither X nor Y! If you think they support your statement in any way, then you must agree they also support: "Unfortunately single player-charater adventure games at least for mainstream success are dead.", "Unfortunately difficult adventure games at least for mainstream success are dead." (this one is probably true, though ), "Unfortunately adventure games not developed in Europe at least for mainstream success are dead.".

Quote:
I can't help you with that since only Funcom could give you reliable sales figures but I can't see why retailers would lie and put a game in their top 10 lists, especially one that its distribution is a bit problematic.
Did I suggest anybody is lying? I'd like to know what data you are basing your knowledge on just to compare how point'nclicks are doing in it. Top 100 Amazon best sellers for today, for example, lists Paradise on #34, two notches above Tomb Raider: Legend.

Quote:
Online and RTS are the last things PCs can rely too, when RTSs go out of fashion and consoles win the online war then its bye-bye.
And when FPSs start having as good controls on the consoles as on PCs. And all consoles get reasonable extent of backwards compatibilty. And console games prices get reduced by half. And the development for the consoles won't require Sony's/Microsoft's/Ninitendo's blessing. And console games allow players to make their own maps/mods. And...