View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 01:19 AM   #69
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phankiejankie
Didn't you bring as an example Broken Sword 4 for having an optional point n' click method? Well I will re-remind you that BS4 will be a PC only title which is the reason why point n' click is considered as an optional control method. For consoles point n' click is a no go, as simple as that.
As a default method, maybe it's a no-go, but I don't see why it couldn't be left in as an option. Dreamfall offers (not point'n'click, but PC-specific) mouse-only control scheme, despite being a cross-platform title.

Regardless, I made no statements - I am only refuting yours ("p&c is dead") as ungrounded.

Quote:
Well sale figures of Fahrenheit and Dreamfall should above all convince you. Can you recall the last crossover adventure with good sales that made it in the top 10 of major gaming sites, magazines and retailers? When was the last time Gamespy raved about an adventure game? Both of them where innovative in some extent, 3D, direct control, hybrid adventures. I believe this is a lesson to be learned. Consoles are not the enemy, they can be a great ally too.

Many friends that are ordinary guys owning a PS2 or an X-Box suddenly get all excited about Fahrenheit or Dreamfall and asking if there are more games like the above two... There is this nice buzz that I love, reminds me of the old days, people regardless their favourite genre talk and talk on great extent about these two titles in forums, in cafeterias, in IRC channels, everywhere. That’s good, that’s healthy, I can’t recall another adventure that caused such a turbulence in the mainstream apart from these two.
There is a logical fallacy in your argument. It's like you said "Unfortunately comedy movies at least for mainstream success are dead.", and then went on to "prove it" by bringing examples of two successful dramas.

Moreover, not being p'n'c is far from being the only thing that sets Dreamfall and Fahrenheit apart. You mention several yourself. They are 3D, contain action sequences, have excellent production values, are clearly addressed at mature audiences, while being accessible in terms of ("cerebral") difficulty. And let's not forget tiny insignificant thing called marketing.

By the way, since you brought up the sales argument, can you link to whatever you're basing it on? I always find it hard to find reliable sales figures for games.
Quote:
That is semi-true
Three words: World. Of. Warcraft.