View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #44
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I never played Diablo 2, but in the original game you'd point and click to where you wanted your character to move OR you'd click, hold and then point the direction. At least I think so. I remember Diablo becoming quite notorious for its click-click-click gameplay at the time.
Pointing and clicking is not sensible for the majority of the game, items, chests, NPCs perhaps, but I doubt many people played that way with both games.
Quote:
So it's some sort of direct control, but pretty clumsy, it makes attacking while moving harder than it should be.
Yes, no, definitely not. Since you're not meant to move while attacking, unless you have a skill that allows you to(there are a number of them, and they're not difficult to use), it's the gameplay, not a flaw. This is a RPG afterall.
Quote:
I'd say that, although a mouse-only direct control interface is possible, it's not the happiest way of handling things.
It's the best way to control this type of game, Diablo and Diablo 2 were incredibly popular, Diablo 2 still is. I've put in a lot of hours into the games, the interface is flawless, and not many other interfaces of other RPGs could handle the frequency, length, and speed of the action.