View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #1165
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
I absolutely hate the Dune movie! As far as I'm concerned, it didn't get anything right apart from the sandworms and Francesca Annis.
I thought some of the sets, props and scenes where excellent. Not exactly what one might picture from reading the books but worth looking at for their own uniqueness. Hell its only a couple of hours (the extended DVD version is filled out with utterly shit narration and comic drawings, so no use watching that). For me, the best part of the Dune movie was the music. That and Sean Young... *quiver* what a fox.

-----

I just watched Ultraviolet. Given the number of names in the opening credits (for the creators) you'd think they might have splurged on a continuity editor or someone with a script and a red pen at the very least.

If you took the plot and the atrocious dialogue in the film and wrote it all down (you'd be the first) it wouldn't fill half an A4 page and yet still they managed to have gaping continuity errors. If I was editing the film I'd take out every single line of dialogue and consign the 'pathos moment' shots to the cutting room floor. You're just as reliant on the audience making sense of the film, but you don't add to their confusion nor upset those trying to enjoy it for vicarious action. I don't say this in jest, I truly believe it would make the film better paced for its content.

As someone who came off of Equilibrium (an earlier Wimmer film) so recently with a lot of cheesy "this is going to be so bad its good" enthusiasm for Ultraviolet, even I was disappointed. The next time someone says the Star Wars prequels where utter dogs dressed up in too much CGI tell them to watch Ultraviolet. But be kind, and suggest they mute the sound and have the remote handy to skip the second anyone's face fills more than a quater of the screen.