View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #31
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
Adventure gamers who play a lot of shooters and Tomb Raider type of games will not sympathize much with guys like Gordon and me. To them, direct control has become second nature, but to us undextrous schleps it can be a major distraction.
Excuse me, but the very first time I played console games (Tomb Raider: TLR, Silent Hill, etc.) I was also as undextrous as you are now. But I kept playing the games, and THAT'S WHY direct control has become second nature to me.

On that note why should I sympathize with you? If I can keep practicing and getting better (as those who whined and bitched when the mouse first came out and began replacing keyboard controls got better by simply complying and practicing), so can you and a lot of others.

Quote:
The joy of adventure gaming, for me, is to figure stuff out. By "stuff" I mean story elements and puzzles, not the controls. Maybe it comes down to personality. I'd rather be an officer than a grunt. I want to think about the big picture and leave the petty details to automation. I don't want to have to micromanage every single step that my character takes.
Wait, didn't even YOU first had to figure out how the use the mouse the very first time, too? And eventually it became second nature, right?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien