View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 07:08 AM   #26
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
I've been having a lot of difficulty getting to grips with some of the control schemes in recent games. Grim Fandango is a good example. I don't mind the keyboard, but I find it very counterintuitive to spin the character and then move backwards and forwards at that angle.
Well, personally I find character-relative controls 10x more intuitive than camera-relative one, but that's a subjective matter. But, as Karmillo noted, Grim allows you to choose between the two, doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
Adventure gamers who play a lot of shooters and Tomb Raider type of games will not sympathize much with guys like Gordon and me. To them, direct control has become second nature, but to us undextrous schleps it can be a major distraction.

The joy of adventure gaming, for me, is to figure stuff out. By "stuff" I mean story elements and puzzles, not the controls. Maybe it comes down to personality. I'd rather be an officer than a grunt. I want to think about the big picture and leave the petty details to automation. I don't want to have to micromanage every single step that my character takes.
Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, but you are being a bit unfair here. If you don't like direct control, fine. But as you said, there are those players to whom it does feel like a second nature, and they do feel as much in control (or "officers") as you do with point'n'click. To them it doesn't feel like micro-management.