View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #5624
jjacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
And now, Americans, it's time to address the situation in Iran.

Question: Why can't we just take Iran's oil?

Answer: Bleeding-heart liberals.

They're scared that if we just take the oil, Russia and China will back them up in a war.

Question: Will Russia and China actually back Iran up?

Answer: If we do take action, no.

Russia can't afford to do shit. If we do take action, they'll back out.

As will China. You really think they'll stand against America? You think they'd blow trillions of dollars they get a year from western trade? Obviously not. They'd back out as well.
I know you're not being very serious, but for the sake of... something; the U.S. can't even afford to invade Iran right now, plus it'd be the stupidest move to make if they're after Iran's oil (even Bush knows that ). Russia and China *will* back up Iran even if that means military action, especially China since their oil demand is growing at a crazy rate, and they can't afford to lose Iran's supply, their government is already losing power every day, and skyrocketing oil prices would mean mayhem for their rule. The U.S. can always resort to oil sand or drilling up Alaska if they're desperate, unlike China.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Question: Do we even need to get oil from the Middle-East?

Answer: No, you ****ing idiot.

The gas prices aren't completely controlled by these countries, dipshit. A lot is just economics. Everything has gone up in terms of prices. Everything. Even gas. And that's the main reason. Eventually, and soon, gas prices will reach to about $4 a gallon, for maybe a week. By then, consumers will pretty much get fed up and stop buying no matter what. And that's when investors will get nervous and drop prices. It'll work its self out. Quit worrying, you gits.

And I base this on next to nothing. I'm just spewing a lot of bullshit here.
You do and you don't (need oil from the middle east). There are other (more expensive) alternatives like oil sand or Alaskan oil (which is a lot harder to get to), but the easiest (cheapest) oil still comes from OPEC, of which Iran is a very powerful player (fourth biggest supplier), so yeah unfortunately Iran does have a big influence on oil prices. And you got it backwards regarding rising prices; oil prices affect ALL prices - they govern how much it costs to produce most products and how much it costs to transport them, amongst other things. People won't just stop driving or buying when oil hits 4$/gallon, nor will they stop heating their homes, it's not that simple. Investors can't just lower the price of oil when they deem it necessary, perhaps OPEC can, but they won't. Gasoline prices here have gradually grown to (on average) €1,40/liter (that's $7/gallon), and yet we haven't stopped buying/heating/driving, and even if we did, it wouldn't make any difference.

Again, I knew you weren't being serious, but in case you're interested..