View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
DaveGrossman
Cranky Game Designer

Wow, a thread with my name right at the top! Cool.

Yes, I haven't exactly been absent from the world of design, but doing it as a contractor the last eleven years means you haven't always seen me credited as such. I did do some story-and-puzzle design work on some of the Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish titles, for example, but am mainly recognized for having written the scripts, and in general a lot more of my writing is out there than game design.

The main difference now is that I'm directly involved in actual game production again, as opposed to sending off a design or a script and then getting the finished product in the mail a year later. I've been mainly a pre-production, design architecture and scriptwriting, occasional emergency firefighting type guy for a long time.

Primarily the change was prompted by two things:
1) I was getting a little weary of freelancing. I like the work and the hours and the exhorbitant contracting rates, but I don't like having to scare up new business, read contracts, and so on. I'd rather just be making games.
and also 2) The existence of Telltale. Not too many companies are doing the sorts of games I like working on the most, these guys were starting up at just the right time, and some of them were already friends of mine.

It seemed like the thing to do, so I jumped on, and I'm liking it.