View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #1203
lostwolfe
the short, bearded guy

i finally got the autoforward daemon to play nicely with adventuregamers.

it didn't like forwarding posts for some reason before. oh well. problem solved. with that done...

...i caught up with this thread [from page fifty three, which was where i left it] - so, in backwards order, here's some of the stuff i wish to respond to -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrift store scott

i've always liked long hair, both on myself and on others...
ditto. and long beards. if i can find them. otherwise, a short beard is good too. i'm pretty easy about both, really. i *prefer* bearded men, to the point where they're what turns my head when i am looking, but there's only so far [as you said] that looks can take you. after that, it's what's inside that matters more. so, if i'm just looking, a long beard and long hair are both good. there's other criteria, if i'm just looking, but that might be scary for most. if i'm interacting, it really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the new york times

are they [beards] a reflection of the stylistic impact on mainstream fashion of the subculture of gay men known as bears, who embrace natural body hair?
this really depends on who you ask.
back when i was running with the bears, a friend of mine and i had a long, long conversation about the social ramifications of that specific movement.
running the numbers, we came to the conclusion that beardom was much like any gay subculture. if gay people make up one tenth of the world's population, or any population in general, then bears make up one tenth of the gay population. even less when you factor in the way gay men deal with themselves as a whole - so, unless you can successfully argue that the bear man has more economic power and is more visible than other gay men [and lots of the "bears" argue the reverse - that they're *less* visible because of their beards and hair] - it's difficult to imagine that bears had "that large an impact" on the fashion [or other industries.] - i think it's like anything else, in this instance in the fashion industry, beards just "came back." much like most clothing trends cycle in and out of fashion.

what is curious/interesting about that particular article was that the reviewer actually knew about the bear subculture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazhara7

i just hope for you guys that kids don't get in the habit of playing "bear" again. some beards are really pretty, and wouldn't it be a shame if they became unfashionable because kids kept calling "bear" [or "ice bear" if it's a white beard) once they saw one once again?
i'm thinking they'd probably call you polar bear instead. which, coincidentally, is what the gay bears call older, greybearded men.