View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #1013
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
V for Vendetta

Excellent film that makes you think about just how trustworthy people in power can be in an England portrayed as God-fearing, racially ‘pure’ and purged of all its sexual ‘deviants’. Is this where we are heading post 9/11? Scary.

Fantastic.

"People should not be afraid of their Government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
I saw this earlier this evening, too. I've never read the graphic novel it's based on, and I'm not really interested in how faithful an adaptation it is - as a film, I thought it was excellent. As Lucien says, some of the dialogue could be too trite for its own good, and the words spilling from British-accented mouths were clearly written by an American. Those are really my only complaints, though, and the dialogue was high quality overall. Some of it was really quite chilling!

And of course, as I list 1984 as my favourite book of all time, I couldn't help loving the concept. As with when I read 1984 recently, the issues raised are very relevant to the world we find ourselves in today. The filmmakers didn't shy away from making some of these aspects more explicit - see the 'Avian Flu' stories in the news and the O'Reilley Factor style TV show!

There was also one scene where the 'Chancellor' looked a lot like Blair, but I will generously assume that this was unintentional and/or all in my head.

If you're put off by the thought of it being an action film, don't be. There are a few Matrix-y moments - some bullet-time knife-throwing action springs to mind - but overall it was much more low key, really more of a thriller. Not quite sophisticated enough to be called a 'political' thriller, though.

And the ending is probably the best sequence ever committed to film.

Speaking of political thrillers, did anyone in the UK see The Plot Against Harold Wilson on BBC2 the other night? Man.