View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 AM   #993
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
The second Dirk Gently book simply fails to make any sense (The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, which I reached the end of and found myself still wondering what the hell had happened), but I rate the original (Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency) very highly. I believe you've read Long Dark Tea-Time if you're on about vikings, but I recommend giving the other one a try.
Hey, that's exactly what I was going to say! Yeah, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is brilliant, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul is, um, something. By the end of the first, all these different plotlines going on simultaneously, from different genres of storytelling, all tie together so well that with just a tiny little bit toward the end you suddenly understand the entire book and how it all fits together. At the end of the second, not only were the small questions I had not answered, but I was absolutely certain that I had not understood a single plot point in the entire book. Seriously, up to that point it all seemed to almost make sense, but then it just went to Loonyville.