View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #4115
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
Hey weren't Spangles great?
I'm not familiar with those. What are they?

Quote:
Horror bags. Why don't they make those any more? I collected a complete set of cards from them to make the skull picture.
I don't remember those either, but they may have been a UK thing.
The Topps company (of baseball card fame) used to make two other products that I avidly collected. One featured famous movie monsters on cards, and had a part of a much larger picture puzzle printed on the back. I had almost enough cards to make Frankenstein's monster.
The other was called "Wacky Packages", and each pack featured two stickers that parodied popular products of the time. The only two I can recall at the moment were "Crust" toothpaste and "Cheep" detergent, but there were many, many others.
Of course, in finest Topps tradition, these packages came with a stick of the very worst, hardest, and most flavorless gum imaginable. If the gum hadn't been bright pink, it would have been virtually indistinguishable from cardboard.

Quote:
Does anyone else miss jokes on ice lolly sticks? It was always fun to guess what it said on the bit of the stick inside the lolly based on what stuck out the bottom.
I do remember those, but they weren't the brand of choice around here. Here, the much-preferred "ice lollys" (we call them "ice pops" or "icicles") were the ones that came with the plastic sticks that were interlocking and could be used to build things...sort of a cross between Lincoln Logs and an erector set, with one piece per pop.

Share the love.

<3