Thread: Daemonica
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #23
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
The fact that the fights are so god-damn easy that any action gamer wouldn't touch the game with a five-foot pole, begs the question, for me: "Why the hell bother implementing the action in the first place?"
What action gamer would touch the vast majority of adventure games? The game simply isn't targeted at action gamers. (Or if it is, it fails at it.)

Quote:
I guess it's all about raising the tension a bit. But, to be honest, what's the tension in a fight where the enemies are dumb enough to keep hitting you, even though you're executing an invincible blocking maneuvre. By simply pressing a button.
I think you underestimate just how much tension this creates in a lot of people who don't play action games. There's really no way to appease gamers on both ends of the spectrum, so one side or the other is going to have issues. Either that or you choose the middle and risk alienating everyone.

Mostly, though, it's just a change of pace. It's something different to do a few times during the game, and that's not inherently a bad thing. I totally agree that its implementation is completely unrealistic, but it's hardly the only culprit of that particular crime.

I'm not defending the choice here, but I understand it. Daemonica probably would have been better off scrapping its combat, but it really doesn't hurt it, either. It's just a little variety within the game.