View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #19
Gordon Bennett

As I understand it, the Atari 2600 Adventure game was actually based on Colossal Cave, at least conceptually. Between the memory limitations and lack of a keyboard, it's probably as close as you could get to it on that machine.

The 2600 game is quite famous, most notably for being the first game to ever feature an easter egg. The story, as I understand it, is that Atari's policy forbade game progammers to receive personal credit in the game or packaging. So, when Warren Robinett wrote the cartridge for Atari, he hid a single invisible pixel as an object (the source of the name "easter egg") which allowed the player to pass into a hidden room with his personal credit written inside.

It's not a bad game, and worth playing through. Level 1 is easy, as long as you bear in mind that the mazes don't actually join up properly, the arrow is a sword, and it will kill the ducks, who are called dragons in the manual for some unfathomable reason, with a single touch.

You can only access the egg from Levels 2 and 3, but then you have to deal with the bat. I hate that bat. I hated it then, I hate it now, and I will alwayd completely detest that inventory-stealing creature forever.