Thread: Daemonica
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Wait, wait... let's be clear... Daemonica isn't just an RPG without fights. It's an RPG without any intrinsic roleplaying elements at all. No stats, no upgrades, no buying weapons and armour, none of that stuff. When you take away all of that, what you're left with is really an adventure. A fairly basic one, a fairly simple one, but an adventure nonetheless.
In Ultima VII, I can finish the game without once worrying about stats or even getting a single piece of armour (beyond items needed for solutions). So thats basically what I mean.

See to me an RPG isn't just about stats and numbers. Its about the playstyle. Its very hard to explain, because while I consider U7 to be an RPG I barely even tough the number side of it. The rest of the world and its interaction is where I see the role-playing part.

I'm the type who doesn't really bother with genre-nazi-ism (for lack of a better phrase) and would rather just play the game. Some people consider Zelda to be an RPG.....I don't, but I can almost understand what they mean. If an RPG was just about numbers then why bother with adding a story or interesting characters at all?

You'd end up with some crappy MMORPG thats why....empty and full of quests that lead nowhere and leveling up for all time so that you can show off your level 78 character as if it were your e-penis.