View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 01:19 AM   #923
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Capote

Biopic of Truman Capote, based around the writing of "In Cold Blood"

After a family is brutally murdered in their home he sets about interviewing everyone connected, including the killers to create the "non-Fiction novel" of the century.

To me Capote came across as being a manipulative, lying git when he's after a story. Watch how effortlessly he manipulates the sheriff and his wife while at dinner or how he worms his way into the cell with the killers.

It sent a shiver up my spine. He was so self absorbed that at times he is a complete arse to his boyfriend and to his best friend (Harper Lee who wrote To kill a mockinbird- although doing some research turned up that some people think Capote actually wrote it)

He would do anything to get the story. However the protracted length of the case starts to weight on Capote as he starts to lose it. More and more publically hoping for the Death penalty to be carried out so that he can finish his book. It is easy to see why he never finished another novel.

I thought it was a fascinating study of a writer and his subject, How they exploit the grief of others for personal gain and how as a journalist you shouldn't get so close to your story.

Phillip Seymor Hoffman has always been a great actor and for this his first leading role he should walk away with the Oscar he was brilliant as the Camp, manipulative but brilliant author.