View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Ah, Johann Walter = Kurufinwe. I see. (I can't keep up with all these secret identities.)

I like the game a lot, myself. It was one of my defining adventure game experiences, so I'm a bit biased, but even when acknowledging its problems, I think it's better than JW gives it credit for.

Yes, the plot fails to coalesce as a whole, but each thread of the mystery is quite coherent, and allows you to engage in some actual sleuthing. As I recall, deducing that:

Spoiler:
The new museum director was a fraud who'd murdered the real man
... was quite satisfying.

I also found the conversation system very much to my taste, allowing me to interrogate everyone about every subject. Sure, it demands a few clicks, but given the list of topics you can ask about, that seems unavoidable.

The problem with the location of the other characters being inconsistent was something we discussed in regards to 5DAS, too. I think in Dagger of Amon Ra it quickly becomes clear that it's not something the game keeps track of. You just have to get over it and accept that the game doesn't model reality perfectly (just like in many adventure games you can have exactly the same conversation over and over again).

Likewise, the two-dimensional characters and the strange fact that no one gets out of the museum are deliberate stylizations, like Clue! or those murder mystery theme party-games. You listen to the dialogue for clues to secrets, not to experience high-class Merchant-Ivory drama.

Admittedly, the Inquest at the end, where you have to explain each murder, is a horrible task that even a perceptive player can only get right by trial and error, but with the help of a walkthrough this should only be a minor annoyance.

Dagger of Amon Ra is a flawed game in many respects, but its strengths make it an enjoyable experience nevertheless: atmosphere out the wazoo, fun gameplay, a likeable heroine, and a dynamic (if nonsensical) story.