View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 05:50 AM   #898
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I think it's dependent on where you come from. If an American movie sets a film in Paris, yet it doesn't translate in terms of what you know of Paris in the dialogue and setting, I'm sure it'd be a problem for you regardless of the plot. If a film fails to convince, it fails on a very fundamental level.

The majority of user reviews on Empire say that the main character is unconvincing in performance terms - in fact it's a criticism shared by many reviewers. I don't know if you saw it in English or dubbed but I'd say that's nothing to do with taste. Unless you enjoy bad acting. I've yet to see it, naturally, but I'll let you know when I do.
I saw it in english, and it didn't shock me, meaning that it wasn't ridiculous (like Heather Graham as an enligh prositute, for example). And accent apart (that's rather hard for me to judge, obviously), I thought his performance was great, as he manage to be impressive, intimidating and pitiful at the same time.

As for the settings, well, I don't know, I'd say that you have to be picky to mind the slight offset with reality, given the fact that the settings are mostly a background for the characters' love games. Of course, critics are supposed to be picky, so it's no wonder they would focus on that offset. And you might as well, that's for sure...