View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 05:17 AM   #896
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I heard Melinda and Melinda was one of his better films, if not his best in recent memory. A lot of the criticism towards Match Point seems extremely vehement although, on reading, justified... mainly that it's a very cold movie with characters you really don't care about, particularly Rhys-Myers.

The Guardian really didn't like it and I usually trust their reviews, saying that it didn't really nail British humour or dialogue on any level. Total Film, another one usually on the money, also called the dialogue "clunky". Empire, of course, loved it, but they usually do love the films they're supposed to - their forum on this film weighs heavily on the negatives. The twist is supposed to be the life-saver.

I need to see it myself. I really wanted to see it since the trailer, but I'd rather wait for DVD after doing the research. I didn't explain earlier but it's quite a trip to get to a cinema from here. On another note, I'm a big fan of Sweet and Lowdown...
Just for your information, you can see the main french magazine's opinions here:
http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefil...ilm=57866.html
(there's a Critiques Presse thing where they translate each magazine's rating into 4 stars ratings)
So it was considered excellent by the majority here.

Of course, there may be a difference between what the french and british press will expect from this kind of movie, especially since it's taking place in England.

About: "it's a very cold movie with characters you really don't care about"
That's a matter of taste. I found the main character very charismatic, and very interesting, because you don't know whether you want to love or hate him.

About: "it didn't really nail British humour or dialogue on any level"
That may be the case, but is it a problem? I'm not sure that's what Woody Allen wanted to do... His movie nails the (west coast) american humor and dialog perfectly, with a british flavour to add to it, and I think it gives something really nice in the end.