View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #880
Spiwak
is not wierd

I just have to say, bump Haggis's Crash. I'll take the Pepsi challenge with Cronenberg's any ole day of the effing week, as a wise man once put it.

Ah who am I kidding I never got around to seeing the new Crash, honestly. It looks to be the obligatory overhyped and pretentious, yet underwhelming movie of the year. But everyone loves it so maybe I misjudged it...

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninth
If that was really the point, I don't think he went far enough, because the violence didn't feel shocking. I felt that, say, Pulp Fiction was more perverse, and thus interesting, in that respect. Or even one of the Cohen Brothers' movies, like Fargo, or Blood Simple.
In any case, the violence didn't intrigue me, which is why I was so disappointed. Some scenes are breathtaking, though. The first scene in particular was brilliant.
That's surprising, I thought the violence in this movie was incredibly shocking! Seeing the thug's blown-away face bubbling on the floor in a pool of blood as the guy's trying to breathe...smashing the one thug's nose with his palm/fist repeatedly...the boy-fight...the violent sex scene and resulting bruises...I dunno, I really can't imagine it not being shocking even to desensitized viewers. And it felt especially perverse because of how idyllic the first act is, it felt unnatural and wrong...even though like I said earlier it was also thrilling and engrossing at the same time. Pulp Fiction doesn't feel perverse to me because all the characters are so embroiled into violence and drugs in a way that it simply feels like that's the way it is as opposed to it being unnatural. I'll agree with you on Fargo, though.

Last edited by Spiwak; 02-20-2006 at 05:55 PM.