View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #874
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

I know they are. Their projects are only speculative, one I applied for last year hasn't even started yet. They take AGES before they go ahead on any of them.

It's a long story but me and a ton of other artists are really unhappy with the way Aardman treated a bunch of applications recently - considering our experience and a whole host of other things. One guy got a standard letter stating that he had to "come back when he had more experience". He's been a character designer for 20 years on a whole host of big projects. It's crazy.

I did a free test for them in two days, with NO direction and practically no designs, whilst working hard on another (PAID) project in a different style. They knew this. I spoke to them many times, and on receipt they were really happy and we spoke about production. Two weeks passed. Nothing. Then? Another famous standard letter. "Many thanks for your interest..."

No feedback. Nothing. I didn't even know why I hadn't got the job. So I wrote them a really pissed off email to the person I had been dealing with, who quickly got back to me with a reply and some feedback that, considering my circumstances and the total lack of direction, made very little sense.

Working on one show and then deviating both your directorial style and drawing style is VERY hard to do in the space of a couple of days. I'm currently working on a project alongside a Corpse Bride artist. Even after two years he hasn't shaken Tim Burtons style. So you can see why I was perplexed.

I later heard that they only hire people, mainly recent grads, willing to move into their area and work for very little for long hours. I'm inclined to believe it. For one, it means lower budgets and for another, it means tighter control. I would love to work for them one day, but I don't think it's going to happen.

But you never know.