View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #844
Spiwak
is not wierd

I wasn't really refuting his point. That's his opinion, and I was simple asserting my opinion with some good "out there" movies that I think are good examples of it. But if I wanted to refute his statement, and yours, I would say that "deviating from normality for the sake of deviating from normality" is in itself a reason for it to do so. What else were the surrealists doing when, for instance, Bunuel and Dali crafted Un Chien Andalou (just a popular example). When people tried to assert "meaning" and philosophies to the work Bunuel simply laughed it off, because it has no meaning other than to present some wierd crap that came from a conversation the two had about dreams. Or how about the Dada movement, which had the purpose of art with little or no meaning behind it but to question the meaning of art? When I said that it needs a reason that wasn't supposed to be taken as such a restricting bound, just an assumption that there is some thought to it.

It sounds to me like this MirrorMask is imitating some sort of dream world, so I would expect that many of the images don't mean anything and aren't necessarily connected to the rest of the movie. And I'm thinking that it's probably not so chaotic, so I figured that the statement I initially replied to probably didn't really apply to the movie. Again, I don't know about MirrorMask, but people have said to me the same line about movies that I think are actually structurally tight and deep, if they would just think about it a little more.

Again this is all opinion and speculation, and I'm not looking to start any arguments, but I just thought that if Legolas dislikes what he calls "abstract" cinema then he should try some of the bonafide masterpieces and see what he thinks. That's all.