View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 02:48 PM   #830
Spiwak
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
God I can't wait to see Match Point The New World sounds intriguing, but it's probably so Hollywoodised I'll end up being disappointed, any comment on it Spiwak? Btw The Thin Red Line is awesome!
I loved Match Point, first of all. It's so different from Allen's other work, but yet it probably ranks up there in his repertoir. I was so thoroughly engrossed for two hours, and the last thirty minutes are genuinely tense. Not to mention that, but the whole feeling that events were out of the characters' hands, that luck or fate or whatever, was always looming right outside the frame.

As for New World, whatever gave you the idea that it'd be Hollywoodized is totally off. This is the work of one Terrence Malick, who also directed Thin Red Line. You might remember Thin Red Line, how the director used natural imagery to tell the story, and created a deeply philosophical look at war beyond "war sucks because people die" as is the case of Saving Private Ryan or Platoon. Well the New World is a continuation of his vision, and beyond good filmmaking qualities (the costumes, the period-stuff) he again shows an intimate portrait of the land and how the arrival of Europeans changed everything for the land. There is little dialogue (much of it in contemplative voice-over) and the main characters are pictured mostly through theire expressions and body language. Like Thin Red Line before it, it's very nearly cinematic poetry. Malick is an artist, and this is the pinnacle of his vision.

So yea I recommend both pretty highly. Though I will say New World feels long, as it is deliberately paced and atmospheric, and probably isn't a movie for everyone. If you're more into simply enjoying yourself at the theater I'd say Match Point. If you like to think and be transported I'd say New World.