View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #18
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
You know you want to be a game designer. That's great, I do too, I only wish I knew that when I was still 18. But are you sure that's what you want? Judging by the stuff you write here, maybe you'd be happier as a game theorist or something like that.
Well, as I said before, exactly what I want is a bit unclear to me. Especially when I try to graft that picture onto the real world, which gets really messy... But I know one thing: most of my dreams involve games which revolutionize their art forms, and none of them involve writing books and giving lectures and telling other people to agree with me. Doesn't sound too appealing, really. The reason I'm always so excited about theory is that I'm looking for what can be done with it; the theory isn't a goal in and of itself.

Quote:
Personally, I think you, well, think too much. Just sit down and write a design document for a simple game. Don't ponder on it for ages trying to make it innovative or significant, just design something.
Oh! Oh! I have something! I have something! See, I've been thinking about what kind of game would be simple enough for me to be capable of programming it, yet revolutionary enough for me to not feel ashamed, bored, and depressed all together, and I came up with an idea. Do you want to hear it? But even in writing the design document itself, I'm really suffering from the lack of a decent design language to think into, and I've already sort of burnt out just a few paragraphs in. It's tedious work actually writing it out. This was supposed to be the path to my future, you know. Maybe the problem's just the lack of any motivation.