View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
insane_cobra
gin soaked boy

Man, what would I give to be 18...

First of all, you don't have to grow up now, maybe never. I still haven't and most of my friends haven't either, even though some of them think they have.

You know you want to be a game designer. That's great, I do too, I only wish I knew that when I was still 18. But are you sure that's what you want? Judging by the stuff you write here, maybe you'd be happier as a game theorist or something like that.

Personally, I think you, well, think too much. Just sit down and write a design document for a simple game. Don't ponder on it for ages trying to make it innovative or significant, just design something. Then find some people, maybe even on these forums, and make that game a reality. Cause that's what being a game designer is all about, making your designs work, breaking your teeth on implementing something, seeing what works and what doesn't with your own eyes, learning to coordinate a team of people... Perhaps it will turn out a shitty game, but you'll grow and get a sense of accomplishment. If it's not for you, you'll know it then, and if it is, do it again, but this time aim a little higher. Try to get a job as a tester, many people climb their way to game design from there. Work on your skills till you feel you've masterd your craftmanship. Then start thinking about metaludes and what not.

In some ways I'm pretty much like you, but you've got 8 years on me and I'm not worried about my future yet - or should I say anymore. Most people go through those questions at some time in their lives, you just need to realize that the answers will present themselves eventually. You genuinely surprised me with this "I'm turning 18" speech, I thought you were much older. You seem like a very intelligent lad, but what you lack is one thing that comes with experience, just like in games. You'll get there, don't worry, just take one step at the time.