View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, Moriarty, but my 26th birthday is coming up soon as well, and I'm having pretty much the same problems you are (well, granted, except that I don't want to make games and I have several years of work experience under my belt).

I highly recommend going to college myself. I don't know what getting work is like in the part of the world where you set up kip, but I know that because of the way the working world operates where I live I very much regret not going to college. The longer you put off going, the harder it gets to be able to go once you realize you should.

But if the thought of more studying is just too horrid to bear, at the very least follow the Godmother's advice and go out and get a job, just anything that pays for the time being.

I'll echo the sentiment that if you're a lazy sort of person (not meant as an insult, since I'm a lazy sort of person) then getting a job in the "formal" game industry prolly wouldn't work so well... you can always try satiating your game-creating urges by making fangames, or maybe shareware games as a small side gig.

Edit: Hmm, I wrote this while you were in the middle of writing your post. I can understand the problem of lack of motivation (although mine takes a different route than yours). Have you ever tried being a "game editorialist"? I find your posts here in the forums to be interesting, and it would let you concentrate on your love of thinking about games.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."