View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #15
Gomatic

I was so excited when GK1 was chosen as the next playthrough because I had never finished it before. I got stuck on Day 5 - killed, actually! It's funny because I bought the game when it originally came out (CD version) and I got the Sierra Hint Book for the game as well. I must have been a more dedicated gamer then because I could have easily gotten past my death scene by reading the hint. Not a problem for me now, since I loaded the game using the "fansite installer" (recommeded highly) and played through the whole game last week!

Day 1 takes a loooong time to get through. It's not heavy in the puzzle area, but a lot of conversation and story exposition happens here. It may seem longer than it really is because you have so much dialogue to hear/read. But what great dialogue! It's hard to think of a game in which the writing and acting and unfolding of the dialogue tree is handled any better.

For instance, when you talk to Willy in the Dixieland Drug Store you don't just have someone reading lines, you actually get the feeling that this is a real person and that they're hiding something from you. Also, the interface you go to when you ask questions goes a long way in helping out the outdated graphics of the regular game. I remember when the game came out there was a big deal about the lip-syncing of the "face time" characters and it really helps.

Another thing I really like about this game is the little tinkling bell sound you get when you find the right piece of information during dialogues or when you pick up certain objects. It's very unobtrusive and in a game with a lot of information it really makes you feel like you're making progress, however small.