View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #773
jjacob

I suspect Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the sleeper hit of the year 2005, atleast over here in the Netherlands. I haven't seen any commercial/trailer for it, and it's only in cinemas one day a week. In fact, if it hadn't been for imdb.com I probably never would've seen it. Then again, most cinemas over here are owned by Pathe, and they're doing a piss poor job frankly (aside from gradually raising ticket prices, showing only very mainstream films and cutting out the intermissions alltogether, they have the nerve to blame their dropping profits all on internet piracy).

Saw King Kong yesterday, and I must I was pretty surprised! Although being way too long, it had pretty good pacing and suspense. The acting wasn't all that good (save for perhaps Naomi Watts), but I can imagine it must be hard for an actor to give it 100% in front of a big green screen. Nevertheless I actually got pretty damn emotional towards the end..

Spoiler:
I might've even shed a bucketloadcouple of tears when Kong plumeted to his death

Also saw MirrorMask recently, what a bizarre film! (in a good way though). It took a while for me to get used to the weird style and effects, but it was definately worth it. On top of surprisingly good acting the film avoided any known "fantasy" road, very refreshing! If you get a chance to see this, don't hesitate!