View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 12:43 AM   #55
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
  • Once you have the detector, a careful player will be methodical and scan every likely surface, starting with the current screen.
It's this step that I think ts the centre of Kurufinwe's problem with the whole pool issue. As PLAYERS we are scanning every available surface with the metal detector. In fact, going back a step, as PLAYERS we are trying to get the metal detector becuase there was a dialogue option about asking for it and Phil wouldn't give it to us straightaway (we AGers always like nicking other people's stuff )

But why would the CHARACTER Trilby want to do these things? The only diggable area of the house that we know of is the garden which Phil is already scanning. Trilby wouldn't be able to search elsewhere with it (at least not without tools to pull up floorboards or break concrete) so why not leave Philip to it while he explores other avenues? Having got the detector, why would Trilby search the lawn. Philip's already searched the lawn as far as he knows so why do it again? (Philip is presumably an expert at using the metal detector being a "treasure hunter" and all)

As Kurufinwe said it all comes down to Trilby realising something is up with the pool. Having spotted the blurry object he has good reason to drain the pool (possibly suspecting what the blurry object is already) Searching the lawn again then makes sense because he'd know he was looking for the pool drainage pipe, an item that Philip is likely to have detected but ignored (since he wanted to find a tomb, not drain the pool.)

I think you're right about the idea of looking at this as if we were playtesters. In this case soem sort of indication of the pool changing (slight murkiness due to blood in the pool?) would set PLAYERS on the right track by giving the CHARACTER a good reason to investigate the pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
"Ew, I dont want to pick up that wet plank, wheres that slow kid?"
Surely he should have tried to make the blurry object jump out of the pool by dropping a spanner into the pool from the top of the house.

Are we ready for more of the Hugo's House of Horrors discussion yet?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 01-28-2006 at 12:50 AM.