Thread: Rhem 2 review
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:41 AM   #15
colpet
Easily amused

Quote:
Colpet, just out of curiosity, what is it about Rhem (if anything) that you liked over other puzzle adventures? Or does the sheer quantity of puzzles = gaming bliss.
Rhem 1 had more layered puzzles, rather than the stand alone ones you'll find in Aura or Sentinel. First just getting around was the biggest puzzle. It wasn't just mazelike; there is a central tower that rotates with 2 openings at different levels. You have to figure out how to use it and then think through to pick which option to use. Each time you come through, you can figure out the best way to shorten your distance. The multitude of walkways, bridges and gates really gave you lots to explore.There are puzzles to work through that will gain you new access, and eventually everything connects. I love working through a 2D space and translating it to 3D in my brain. These types of challenges appeal to me. All through this are clues to to a bigger (overall) quandary that actually lets you escape. Plus, there are letters and writings to find that help you sort out what is going on. Puzzle fests are fun, but Knut takes the challenges to a different level. You can really feel your brain working (getting the big picture into focus), and I feel he integrates them well into his made up world. They feel more organic that way than just blockades to your progress. It's very close to the Riven experience (if you liked that).
From what I've read of Rhem 2's reviews, seems that he was able to accomplish this again.