View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #49
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

On to Hobbin. Personally, I was afraid he might turn me in. If I were being hunted, I'd try to not be seen, not go into a lengthy discussion with the very first person I see on a flimsy pretense. Now, the comic does say that Foster's been "trained to hunt", so it's probable that what he'd do under these circumstances are very different from what I would do. But then a disconnection between player and character needs to be made, so that the player can observe this trait in the character. The dialogue choices are too matter-of-fact to generate this disconnection, so the scene loses emotional realism. The choices should have been worded more cleverly, as if Foster is pretending he knows more than he actually does, and not raise suspicion.

While I'm mentioning the lack of realism, I should bring up the elevator distraction. Even if we accept the theft as a necessary contrivance, this is totally unnecessary. Hobbins is an engineer, no?- it makes sense for him to go back and forth between rooms, fiddling with machinery. He certainly isn't expecting Foster to steal his lunch, so he won't worry about leaving him alone in the room. That's the player's cue to steal it. It's simpler that way, more believable, and it moves the plot along better.

(This is your cue to prove me wrong )