View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #43
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Now that I'm slightly more awake, some of my own thoughts on the intro...

I'll start by saying that I agree the CD intro could have been better done than simply a slideshow of the comic. Gabriel Knight 1 also had an intro that was based from a comic version, as well as cutscenes throughout the game that were essentially animated comic panels, and it came out a lot better than it does in BaSS, IMHO.

I also have to admit that it never occurred to me at all to think of Beneath a Steel Sky as being comic-book-esque, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

For one, I admittedly don't read comics frequently, so I wouldn't be inclined to make that sort of connection without prodding or obviousness.

For two, Gabriel Knight has more comic-book-esque elements than BaSS, but I don't think GK1 is comic-book-feeling at all despite that.

For three... I honestly just thought that the weirdly capitalized WORDS were just some bizarre quirky THING on the PART of the designers... I never before now considered the thought that there might be anything DEEPER to it.

So, a collective (sheepish grin) on my part all there!

I also agree that the pacing of the intro is a bit too fast, as well as the fact that it manages to suffer from having both too little info and too much. However, I do personally feel that (going from my admittedly possibly fuzzy memory of plot points) things you learn later in the game make it a bit more understandable why the intro is the way it is (and why it'd be hard to address some of Moriarty's issues, even though I can see his point). But of course I can't talk about that in detail right now.

I've only ever played the CD version, and that only a couple years ago, so I'm unsure myself as to whether the hard-copy comic was included with every copy of the game. (I could swear up and down that my CD version came with it, but I can't *find* the darn thing now. *grumble*) I would hope that they did, though, otherwise the floppy version would be missing some pertinent info. (Like, for instance, as was already said, why you'd need to fix Joey, who Joey even was, and what Foster means by his home and people being destroyed.)

Furthermore, I think it would add a new interpretation to things. With the comic and CD, it is (to me, anyway) fairly obvious that Foster is a "good guy"... his new home and people have been blown up by thugs who have kidnapped him... and whatever they want him for, he was a child when it happened and he doesn't seem to remember it.

With the floppy, however, I'd find myself wondering if maybe Foster *had* done something "wrong" (at least from Reich's faction's POV) to tick people off.

Speaking of interpretations, how about the change in dialogue there?

In the CD/comic, the pilot says "Sir. The guidance system! It's gone crazy!" The crash is thus a bit ambiguous to me... did someone sabotage the copper in some way? Did the pilot goof up somehow? Or was it just the quirks of fate?

In the floppy however... well, I personally think "I'm picking up a jamming signal, sir!" is pretty blatant. Somebody knew the chopper was coming and jammed the guidance system signal from locking on for a landing. Which of course begs the questions, who and why?

The dialogue in the floppy version also made it more clear to me that the reason Reich missed his first shot at Foster was because the pilot stumbled in and got in his way... I missed the significance of the pilot's ducking down the first time. (Which, admittedly, was probably just due to my own DUHness. )

All of my other thoughts about the intro I think I've already stated in some shape or form, like the various questions that it engenders for me, for instance.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."