View Single Post
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #24
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
"Hey, why's no alarm going off? Isn't anyone watching the camera? Huh, I guess not, or maybe it's being watched by someone on my side I haven't heard of yet."
Heh. I never wondered why an alarm wasn't going off because... well, we don't know how this game's universe works yet. (As well we shouldn't, since we've barely gotten started.) Maybe an alarm *wouldn't* be going off in this universe.

I assumed Reich himself had been watching the camera somehow, or perhaps one of Reich's flunkies. Either way, why set off an alarm? He's just going to go down there and shoot/apprehend Foster, after all, and Foster's unarmed.

Quote:
"Either way, obviously there's nothing to worry about, or else I'd be dead by now."
Heh! I guess this is where being familiar with adventures gives one a different mindset. I thought I had stumbled upon a death scene at the time.

Quote:
"Joey unlocking the door like that is straight out of Empire Strikes Back! Is this the extent of his function in the game- opening a door, fixing a robot?"
I'm not much of a Star Wars fan, so the first part didn't strike me in any way.

As for the latter, that's another thing I like about Joey... he's useful for solving puzzles, unlike some near-useless sidekicks in other games (*cough*King's Quest V*cough*).

Quote:
"Hey, who's this guy? Oh, he's dead now. OK."
Well, they explained who the dead guy was - at least the basics, that is - in the intro... and in the dialogue between the guard and Hobbins at the start... and in Foster's furnace room dialogue with the guy... and you'll find out even more about Reich later.

Quote:
Oh, sure, that's fine. Any kind of premise is fine by me. But when the first plot point in the story is a hint of a future plot twist, it tells me they've got no story to tell. I understood the amnesia; I accepted the amnesia. But then, before we're given any reason to think of Foster as anything more than a generic avatar, already the writers expect us to care so much about his past that we'll start wondering about it. That talk about Undermann is pushing the player's willingness to accept a contrived plot too far.
Well, the setup so far is... you came from the city as a boy, were stranded in the Gap in a crash, and were rescued by the tribes living there. You don't remember much about who you were in the city.

Now that you're a full-grown man, someone who seemingly does know who you were (or thinks he does, anyway) thinks you're important enough to come out to the Gap, and kidnap you to his city.

So... I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't be curious about your past, seeing as how it's seemingly the entire reason you're now stranded in the city. The Overmann bit is just a new clue in the puzzle. (I.E. you now know who they were looking for, although it doesn't mean anything to you right at the moment.)

Of course, there's lots of other things to be curious about as well up until this point. These are some of the questions I can come with for even just this small first part of the game:

Why were you on that helicopter? Where was it going? Why was only your mother with you (what about your father)? Why did the helicopter crash?

Why did Reich kidnap you? Who is this Overmann person he thinks you are?

Why did Reich's helicopter crash? What messed with/jammed the guidance system?

What city are you now in? Is it the same city you originally came from? How does the city differ from the Gap?

Why did LINC save your life? Does it consider you important for some reason?

Reich obviously wasn't the "head honcho", so who was he working for? Who wanted you kidnapped?

I mean, I'm not entirely sure what else you'd want said about Foster this early on, without burdening the player with lots more exposition and ruining some of the surprise and story exploration. I mean, how many full-length stories do you know of that tell the audience everything that's going on in the first 10 pages?

Quote:
What do you guys think of the puzzles? I'm hardly qualified to judge them, since I hate the typical adventure puzzles and these are as typical as they come.
Well... they *are* typical adventure game puzzles. I think I remember this game's puzzles being mostly logical, though, in the sense that you generally have a reason for doing them and the solutions generally involve logical uses of items. Memory's fuzzy though... I'll have to wait for the next stopping points to make sure.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."