View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #82
Oliveira

Seems like there has been a lot of discussion in this thread.

I can't say that all fan made adventures are shit. I remember the first adventures I played, "permenant daylight" and "night of the hermit", those two games introduced me into the genre.

Since then I have played quite a few fan games, including titles like "out of order" and "gilbert badbone", and I have to admit, that I was disappointed by most of them. Crude graphics, lack of an original, well-thought-out storyline and bad writing are some of the things that turned me down.

But despite these and other numerous weaknesses, I can still sense considerable talent in many of these games. Above all I appreciate the enthusiasm of those who dedicated their time and effort to share their love of adventure games with us gamers.

I believe everyone here in this forum likes adventure games, and would like this genre to last. But commercial adventure games are shrinking every year, and not many good games (I have a rather fastidious taste in games) turn up these days. It is important for the genre to gather up new talents, and fan games are more or less keeping the tradition alive.

So instead of criticizing or defending fan games, why don't we offer some constructive suggestions? Sure, a lot fan games maybe considered shit, but dashing it out to the developers in such a blunt way does not help things. Grant it that if the developer is tolerant, we just pointed out something that he/she is probably already painfully aware of. If the deveper is not so inclined to criticism, we have just discouraged him/her by giving him/her the impression that their efforts are not gratefully received.

Personally I have a grand vision for future fan games. If we take a look at KQIX, here is an ambitious fan game that strives for professional quality, with graphics and sound that hope to rival commercial games. Why isn't there more games like this? Perhaps if we all contribute a bit of ideas, support and work, we can form an online community dedicated to the production of high quality "amateur" games, where adventure game lovers can lend their experience and creativity, and where game programmer/artist wannabes can test their skills and talent.

Arguing the failings of fan games isn't a big deal. They are out there, plain for all to see. We do not want to discourage developers, we want to help them, organize them, so that their dreams and ideas can be realized in better ways - it is ultimately beneficial for everyone here. So let's see some constructive comments here.