View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:18 AM   #26
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
You've just proved what I’ve been saying all along. Fan games are not as good as their commercial counterparts because they're developed by small teams that don't have the resources to churn out games that are worth your while. And how are they better designed? First you take the time to point out their downfalls, then go the other way and try and reason that they're better made. How, how? They're shorter, less professionally created, filled with design flaws and plot holes...I could write an essay on why they’ll never be as good or as downright worthy as something backed by a publisher.
Some have design flaws, but that doesn't necessarily make the game bad. Go play Bestowers of Eternity or Two of a Kind or 5 Days a Stranger and then tell me that all games have atrocious design.

As for commercial games being by their nature better, I disagree. It would, I believe, be pretty harsh of me to start slating commercial titles in the way that you've just dismissed every amateur game out of hand, but I can point to flaws in every single adventure game released in the past few years. Yes, I mean every single one. And this isn't be pretending to be big or clever, just pointing to problems that others would probably agree about. From crippling design flaws to minor quibbles, of course, but commercial titles are by no means the bastions of perfection that you're making them out to be.

And, why not take your comparison further than you have? Because, let's face it, every single adventure game released ever looks worse than, say, Unreal Tournament 2007. Even the ones in development.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.