View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #23
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoldier
Name me a fanmade game that's good enough to be sold in the shops? Something professional and downright well-made enough to have a price tag attatched?

Fangames may be relatively engaging, but they're not titles you'd spend $50 on. Why? The length of the game, for one, or the substandard visuals and poorly constructed plot with gaping holes in the story due to a lack of motivation halfway through on the part of the team, who, while wallowing away in a basement asked themselves: "Why the fu** are we bothering?"
"Substandard" (relating to what standard?) visuals shouldn't be a surprise, as many Underground developers work on their own. Now, I don't know about you, but the chances of finding someone who's an amazing artist, quality writer, excellent designer, technically proficient coder, quality music composer and is capable of making sound effects is, in my mind, pretty damn small.

As for your other points, there are always going to be bad fan games with poorly constructed plots, but the fact that some exist doesn't mean that all games suffer from this problem.

Turning to the length issue: games take time to develop. That's a simple fact. These people are working on games in their spare time, and you can't expect people to produce extremely long titles within a reasonable timeframe on a couple of hours work (and I'm probably being optimistic here) a day.

There are very few games that I'm happy to spend £30 (the equivalent in the UK of the $50 price tag). Priced more affordably, however (let's say £9.99, which is the most I spend on the vast majority of games that I buy), I'd certainly be tempted by commercial versions of a number of these "shit" games of which you've spoken. In fact, I'd happily argue that many of them are far, far better designed than a lot of what does get released commercially...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.