View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
AudioSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Maybe they would. Let's say you have a good writer, who wants to make an adventure game.

There's your problem. No game studio would let him make one! There's no other route than going independent. Besides, look at projects such as Rise of the Hidden Sun. The developer has been employed by the comics industry (if I remember correctly) but these days he does something different for a living (beats me what). He works on the game on his spare time.

And btw, I think this is pretty good art.

And this fangame (or to be more precise, amateur adventure game, as it's not a sequel to an existing franchise or anything) contains pretty good music. And other stuff is pretty good, too. It's better than half-decent at least.

Besides, you make it sound as if development studios are desperately hunting for workforce, promising them gold and diamonds for making games, but in fact, the workers are pretty much cattle. Baaa!
Any excellent writer should be able to create something worthy of game material for just about any company. Because, you see, good writers are in short supply, and there are rather more John Carmack's in the world than Al Lowe's, or Tim Schafer's for that matter. Heck, perhaps Carmack is a bad example, but I'm trying to illustrate the point that there are more chip-monkeys in the business than creative writing minds with luscious scripts flowing from their every pore.

Why? Because, in its present state, this media is scorned by literary minds. The day I see Tom Wolfe, John Updike and co. creating stories solely for a game, I'll walk naked down my suburban lane and sing a song of fairies.

Edit: Actually, I would go as far as to say that writers have barely allowed their minds to rest on our hobby. There is potential to create a game that immerses you within a riveting plot and keeps progression of utmost importance -- to learn developments in the story -- and I'm disregarding attempts to create games based on past novels. We need first hand involvement with the authors to really have their literary vision shine through and appeal to would-be-book lovers and game aficionados. And even then, there's a risk. How many gamers really want to have a story told? While gaming is in its juvenile form, we may have a while to go before we really know.

Sorry for rambling.

Edit 2: Hmm...I've re-read my earlier doodles. To make a concrete statement: Technology can be used to enhance storytelling. Heck, if a game had the money Peter Jackson dismisses on a daily basis, we could see games with riveting cinematics that were on a King Kong scale. We could have animation frighteningly life-like. And just as you're sucked into the realistic world, you find the plot, script and characters all the more impactful. It's when you witness shoddy animation routines and maddening gameplay nuances that the veil of realism is unceremoniously lifted and you're harshly reminded that it's just a game.

Last edited by AudioSoldier; 12-14-2005 at 05:17 PM.