View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #50
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
No, what Phoenix should have done in the first place was NOT thumb their noses in Vivendi's face by calling their project "King's Quest 9" and garnering as much prepublicity as they possible could.
Well, whether or not that was a mistake (and it sounds from what we're told like not calling it KQ9 might not have been sufficient to avoid the C&D), it doesn't make Vivendi's actions right. Clearly the issue was negotiable, so why go straight for the close-down, instead of entering into negotiations?

I don't know whether to be impressed or put off by Cesar's admission of a deliberate strategy of brinkmanship. In either case, I don't think it's wise to brag about it on a public forum. If Vivendi gets pissed off again, they could point to it as evidence of bad faith. In general, I think fan games need to preserve at least an appearance of innocent naïveté, or risk that game companies adopt a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" mindset.

I'm happy the project has been revived, and look forward to "Shadows". I have to admit that I found the script excerpts posted on the AGS Forums underwhelming, but hopefully the game will have an overall higher level of quality.