View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #44
cesarbittar

yes, and that would have been a way to go...

However.... if we had gone that route, we wouldn't have the generous license we have now that allows us to go public on the matter. Because we decided to go big (which was our intention since day 1), we've gotten this far, and even farther, but I can't really divulge other stuff.

Headaches? No... this is actually the best thing that has ever happened to the project.

And, yes, this was exactly what we were going for. We didn't expect it to happen this soon, though.

Now, two years ago it would have matter because we weren't known. Now, everyone basically knows what "The Silver Lining" is.

And, yes, the name matters to Vivendi, of course. However, they would have still noticed us. They would have still shut us down at one point down the line. I'm surprised that you can think that by keeping a low profile and having a different name a huge company as Vivendi won't notice at any given point. They may *not* care, but high quality products such as Space Quest 7 or our project, and even large projects such as Hero6 are all known by Vivendi. The problem presents when these games are getting close to their release date. These companies HAVE to protect their copyrights. It's completely natural and they are in all their rights to do so.

In any case, we decided to take a different route and you always disagreed with it, Josh. At the end, because we did what we did we now have a legal license that allows us to use and expand the KQ universe at will. We were asked (and helped) to make as much publicity as we could on the topic and we are now all around in the big medias such as MTV, GameInformer, Computer Gaming World, IGN, etc, etc, making more and more people aware of our product and giving us the chance to do as much publicity as we want to, so that many people can play our games. On top of that, we stand on very good grounds with Vivendi and we have all sorts of contacts in the company. And, then there's that I'm not allowed to discuss. We got pretty much what any fan game would love to have. And I'm not trying to come off as stuck up here, but I'm happy for my team, cause the decisions we directors made, ultimately lead up to the best thing that could have ever happened to the project.

We thank Vivendi for giving us this chance. They undoubtely are one heck of a great company!

Oh, and by the way, we still get to use "King's Quest" in our title. The full name is "The Silver Lining: A game inspired by the King's Quest Series"

So, again, what's the problem?

César Bittar
Phoenix Online Studios

Last edited by cesarbittar; 12-10-2005 at 11:02 PM.