View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #58
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Many of the arguments I see here seem centered around arguing the quality of things, and the notion that quality=art. I personally disagree with that. Certainly there is good art (something that shows off the aspects of its medium with excellence) and bad art (something that uses the aspects of its medium poorly), but I don't think something has to be good to be art.
Yes, I completely agree with you. People (ab)use the term 'art' to give their subjective opinion about a particular form of expression, stating that one form is art, while the other is not.

As you say, everything that ever evoked an emotion in anyone is art to me. This is almost everything, and hence the word kind of loses any meaning to me, so I just don't use it altogether. Or I try not to use it, but I find it very difficult.

For example, whenever I find something very, very beautiful/good, I tend to call it art, as if 'art' is a synonym for 'extremely good stuff'. It only proves how much we all associate the term art with superior quality products.

Last edited by Phantom; 12-08-2005 at 07:00 AM.