View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 04:49 AM   #54
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
That sort of quality and attention to detail that goes into a slab of marble can be acknowledged by all, and it's not just because an important person says it's good.
You're kind of missing my point, I think. Of course I acknowledge the quality and craftmanship of those classical paintings and sculptures, and I can appreciate the beauty and attention for detail that went into them. But that has NOTHING at all to do with what the general public accepts as art nowadays.

It's a matter of fact that people associate the word art with something that is superior to non-art. Your reply boils down to this: apparently you interpreted my reply as stating that I refuse to accept those classical examples as art, and you immediately get all defensive, implying that I would consider them inferior if I didn't consider them art. It's also a fact that during the course of history, important people have made their opinion on what is art the general opinion of the public. They basically decided for us what we should consider to be better and more important than other stuff. I'm not saying that they just randomly decided that sculpture x was art and movie y was not, but they did create some kind of dogma, intentionally or not, that's been accepted by the general public over the centuries.

Go ask a man on the street if The Mona Lisa is art, and then ask him if GTA3 is art. Then ask them why. They probably won't be able to answer that question. I'm sure a lot of people are moved a lot more by the storyline of GTA3 than by the Mona Lisa. GTA3 evokes emotions, and that's the essence of art, right?

THAT is what I revolt against, right there. It's not up to anyone to decide that sculpturing is better than designing sport cars, making movies or creating games. It's not up to anyone to label one as art and the other as not. It pisses me off that certain people actually have the nerve to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
There's more to the world of art than just people's personal, subjective opinion. I'm perfectly fine with your attitude on the acknowledgment of the concept of "art" (because hey, art isn't for everybody)
I actually find this comment offensive and denigrating towards me. As if I'm just too stupid to understand those complex works of art, and should stick to superficious non-art entertainment forms like television or whatnot. I can appreciate certain forms of art (I like architecture a lot, for example), but that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

As a matter of fact, I could call myself an artist, since I create (game) worlds and write stories. However I refuse to do so, because as said before, I refuse to use the term 'art'. I'd rather call myself an entertainer.

Last edited by Phantom; 12-08-2005 at 04:56 AM.