View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
-speech read by actors in the PC CD (during the floppy intro, it's read by Sierra employees, I think)
I'm surprised it was read by anybody on the disk version. I have seen that demo before, though. I didn't think there were voices on a floppy disk version of any Sierra game, but the versions I played on the Mac are clearly not the same as the PC versions, so I could very well be wrong.

But still... you want to talk about showing not telling? To me, that dialogue between Alexander and Valanice, coupled with the "Oh Alexander, I'm so alone blah blah blah" from Cassima, is nothing BUT telling. I still prefer the more subtle intro that was shipped with the Mac version.

The reason I said the longer movie is an expansion of the original, not vice versa, is that I remember Sierra marketing it that way when the multimedia version came out. Obviously, they were working on all this stuff at the same time. But knowing that the CD version came out months after the Mac and PC disk versions did, I don't think it's realistic to look at the extended movie that shipped with the CD version of the game and say "Why did they change it so much from what it was intended to be when they made the Mac port?" The extended movie, although it may be the version we're most familiar with now, was not the first version to be released.

EDIT: I'd love it if a Sierra employee came in here and set the record straight on how these releases all went down. Josh... are you watching?!

Last edited by fov; 12-06-2005 at 08:37 PM.