View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burge
There's a King Quest 5 in EGA?
Apparently so. When they first made the move to VGA graphics, Sierra often also released an EGA version for people who didn't have the capability of playing the VGA. (There is also a version of KQ5 for NES...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Wow that game looks so suspicious now. I remember KQ5 blowing me away when I first saw it... I think other than Wing Commander 2 it was the first VGA game I saw.
I'm pretty sure KQ5 was my first VGA game. It was also the first Sierra game I played on the Mac... up until then we had an Apple IIGS. I remember being blown away by some of the things they did with perspective, like when Cedric the owl is looking down on Graham near the beginning of the game, and close-ups later on of the wizard's fingers holding the (shrunken) Alexander by the scruff of the neck. It was also the first game that had a "detail" meter that you could crank up or down - if it was higher the game might run slower, but there were details like moving water in streams, and more townspeople walking around. If you put the detail down, these things weren't there (but the game ran faster). I wish games today had these options...