View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, Poco. :) Are you trying to run the DOS or Windows version of the game? How are you trying to launch it? (i.e. desktop shortcut, start menu, etc.)

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

EDIT: I found this on NT Compatible. Try it and see if it fixes the problem:

Quote:
The basic problem is, the game fails to add shortcuts to the Windows Start Menu under Win2K and later - therefore the previous "Windows Title Not Found Error". That isn't an incompatibility issue, Sierra seems to have used some quite advanced techniques in its' Windows 3.11 games, including some sort of universal game loader - the SIERRAW.EXE file.

SIERRAW.EXE is -not- the game's exe file, and it requires the respective RESOURCE.WIN file passed to it as the command-line parameter - which I found out after a quick googling for some help. That however didn't solve all my problems, so here's a quick guide to what should work anytime - e.g. if it works on my buggy machine, it has to work on yours...

1) Copy all the files into a directory of your choice on the hard drive - a rather crude method, but with today's hard drives and CD-ROM speeds, not much of a problem. I used the directory the installation uses by default - C:\SIERRA\KQ7\ - if there are problems, try and use a directory that's pre-Win95 compatible (directory names under eight characters, no characters that aren't 7-bit ASCII). I'll call this KQ7 Path from now on.

2) Copy KQ7 Path\English into KQ7 Path

3) Edit KQ7 Path\SIERRA.INF, and add the lines:

[Misc]
SourceDir=c:\sierra\kq7

4) Edit KQ7 Path\RESOURCE.WIN, and add the lines:

resAud = KQ7 Path\
resSfx = KQ7 Path\
patchDir = KQ7 Path\
movieDir = KQ7 Path\AVI\
robot = KQ7 Path\AVI\
audio = KQ7 Path\
resMap = KQ7 Path\;KQ7 Path\