View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #632
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
There's a bit where the heroes are wandering through the mountains, and Evil Christopher Lee Wizard™ magically causes an avalanche.

Now, if the guy has such extreme power of nature, why can't he uproot the trees in the fight in the forest later on in the same film?
An off-the-top-of-my-head explanation with no reference to the books whatsoever: Maybe his power are restricted only to some forces of nature? If you had watched Two Towers, you'd find out that flora and him doesn't exactly live on good terms with each other.

Besides, that's a type of thing you can as easily easlier accuse of many, if not most, stories that involve magicians or otherwise superpowerful entities, which seem to forget their abilities when the plot requires it (now playing: Fahrenheit ). And I haven't watched any of the Harry Potters, but judging from the books, they're hardly an exception.
Quote:
Also, the characters in the film really do just wander to a location [cut to nice shot of New Zealand] and then say "We need to go to XXXX!", before moving on again. Possibly with a fight scene first.
While this may be frustrating for avid fans of the original who miss certain scenes and characters and subplots, I don't see how leaving all those details in would make it any less confusing for "those who haven't read the books", which was your main concern.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the screenplay was perfect. But I felt, and was told so by people who hadn't known the source prior to watching it, it stood rather firmly on its own.