View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #621
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Yojimbo ain't that great, either. Kurosawa made plenty of much better movies.
Yojimbo is pretty damn good. It's John Sayles' favorite movie of all time, and he doesn't exactly have poor taste (at least I wouldn't think so if he could make a film like Lone Star). Yojimbo is brilliantly shot (by Kazuo Miyagawa, the best cinematographer Japan ever had), filled with delightful moments, and features a splendid main character that helped invent "cool" in cinema. Mifune is electrifying in the movie. Period. I think Kurosawa has only made five superior films to Yojimbo, and with a director as good as Kurosawa that still places Yojimbo pretty high as movies go.

Quote:
And acclaiming Peter Jackson is so trendy these days that I think a fair number of elitists are being swept up. (Besides, real snobs don't rate the original that highly, anyway.)
You've got a point, but at the same time, I was a Peter Jackson fan back before he had even made The Frighteners. I became a P.J. fan around the time he made Heavenly Creatures in 1994. I remember skipping school one day to go rent Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles at a cult video store. So there's no "jumping on the bandwagon" for me. I was already there over a decade ago. Also, the original Kong gets plenty of love from film snobs, but most of them still address the flaws of the movie as they praise it. And there's no denying it has some major flaws...

Quote:
I don't get what the fuss is all about, though. All the clips so far have looked terribly computer-generated. And I could just about excuse a three-hour bloat in the Lord of the Rings movies, but for King Kong?!
The NBC exclusive preview is what sold me. It's a 4 minute uncut sequence from the film. It was great stuff. Amazing CG effects. Best I've seen thus far.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 11-29-2005 at 11:20 PM.