Thread: KQIII review
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Various places on the web. Here's one:

Quote:
The SCI version of this game can be purchased in either the King's Quest series CD-ROM collection or the Roberta Williams Anthology. The AGI version of this title was never actually released to retail outlets. It was only available through Sierra itself by buying the regular SCI version and then mailing off for this AGI version. And Sierra only did this for a limited time. Consequently, this version is very rare.
Funny thing - I had a problem running KQ4 (Apple IIGS version) and we sent to Sierra for a replacement disk. They sent back a DOS version. We contacted them again and they sent us the correct Apple IIGS replacement disk, and my dad stashed the DOS disks in a drawer (we had an old Compaq but it only took 5.25" floppies, and these were 3.5", so we had no way to use them). They probably sat around in that drawer for 10 years until my dad tossed them out. And they most likely contained the elusive AGI version of KQ4.

(Another point of interest -- to me, anyway -- is that the Apple IIGS version was a lot closer to the DOS AGI version than the DOS SCI version. No SCI engine was ever created for the Apple IIGS, so they made KQ4 with its own sort of in-between engine.)